Updates for WordPress seem to happen with regularity to keep your site secure and performing well. We all apply updates to our WordPress site, or at least you should be applying them if that option is available to you. But what about your plugins? You can update them when you are reminded, but have you recently taken a look at the plugins that you currently are using? What others are out there to take a look at and use on your WordPress site?. There are new ones being added almost daily and you need to periodically do a review of what you are using as compared to what is available.
There are articles which are posted which you can use as a guide to reevaluating the plugins you are using on your WordPress Site. In one provided by ComputerWorld, they have put together a list of the 10 essential WordPress plugins for your reference.
- Blubrry PowerPress – lets you provide audio and video podcasts
- Gravity Forms – commercial plugin with advanced form building abilities
- Jetpack – From Automatic the providers of WordPress with 13 different tools
- JQuery Accordion Menu Widget – Custom navigation menues
- Redirection – handles missing links on your site and redirects to valid location
- Revision Control – controls number of versions for post – essential tool for large site
- Social Media Widget – provides method for readers to communicate with Tweeter, Facebook, etc.
- W3 Total Cache – converts some of your site to static HTML pages for faster display
- WP-Table Reloaded – create tables which can be included in embedded in posts
- WPtouch – creates mobile friendly interface for your site
There are many others to be considered as well, but this is a great starting point. You really should be doing a review of the plugins on your WordPress site at least once a year. And in doing that, you should be looking at what is new and will improve your site. Take some time to read through 10 essential WordPress plugins.